312 Drummond St Sth, Ballarat Vic 3350

Phone: (03) 5333 1118

Who We Are

History

During 1984 local community members identified a need for community based palliative care services. A steering committee was formed and after much consultation in 1985 an incorporated association was formed.


The new committee with strong support from the community lobbied government for funding which resulted in state funds being granted in 1987 for two nurses and a vehicle to operate from Armstrong St, Ballarat.

During 1989 Ballarat Hospice Care was recognised as a model for palliative care services. Development of the service continued, which led to the purchase and refurbishment of the current building at 312 Drummond St Sth, Ballarat. Since then, Ballarat Hospice Care has continued to expand its services to the growing population.

During 2016 a fundraising appeal was launched to raise funds towards the purchase of land and construction of new premises in Sturt Street Ballarat.  Lack of space limits the number of staff that can be employed and also reduces the opportunity to respond to innovation and the use of technology.

At a time when technology is used to communicate more effectively between patient, staff and health professionals, Ballarat Hospice Care needs the capacity to develop its services using up-to-date technology and equipment. The proposed new premises will allow for the much needed expansion and development that the current site cannot support.