Ballarat Hospice Care provides 24-hour, home-based, holistic palliative care for people facing end of life issues.
Our team of specialist palliative care nurses, supportive care workers, and patient and family support volunteers support the patient, their carers and families.
Ballarat Hospice Care offers holistic palliative care to people in their own home, with compassion, innovation and flexibility.
Palliative care aims to promote comfort and improve quality of life while supporting family and friends involved in their care.
Providing a supportive 24-hour service, we strive to make a difference to the lives of people living with life limiting illness, their families and carers.
We do this by:
• Providing a respectful service that guides but does not take over;
• Enriching the quality of living and dying through personalised home-based care and 24-hour support with compassionate staff and volunteers;
• Helping patients of all ages to live well in their home by providing holistic care that addresses physical, emotional, social, cultural or spiritual needs;
• Taking time to get to know what the patient and their family need to help them live, die and grieve well;
• Sharing information, knowledge and care with the patient, their families and specialist health care providers including GPs, health services, palliative care nurses, oncologists, physicians and local councils.
We employ a team of specialist palliative care nurses, supportive care workers, a specialist grief and bereavement counsellor and patient and family support volunteers to look after the physical, social, emotional and spiritual needs of people requiring palliative care.
We offer our service to the Ballarat, Hepburn, Golden Plains and Moorabool Shires, and are currently caring for 170 registered patients. This does not include the many people who require bereavement support.
We provide a free equipment loan service for our patients, including wheelchairs, lift recliners, commodes and other personal items delivered to the patient’s home.
We care for palliative patients of all ages; helping to fulfil the wish of a patient who wants to die at home.
We pride ourselves on making a difference to the people we care for.
For further information on the definition of palliative care please go to World Health Organisation www.who.int/cancer/palliative/definition/en