Ballarat Hospice Care provides 24-hour, home-based, holistic palliative care for people facing end of life issues.
The highly accredited service employs a team of specialist palliative care nurses, specialist counsellors, welfare workers, and patient and family support volunteers to support both the patient and their families.
Ballarat Hospice Care offers holistic palliative care to people in their own home, with compassion, innovation and flexibility. Palliative care aims to promote comfort and improve quality of life while supporting family and friends involved in their care.
Providing a supportive 24-hour service, Ballarat Hospice Care strives to make a difference to the lives of people living with life limiting illness, their families and carers.
We do this by:
• Providing a respectful service that guides but does not take over;
• Enriching the quality of living and dying through personalised home-based care and 24-hour support with compassionate staff and volunteers;
• Helping patients of all ages to live well in their home by providing holistic care that addresses physical, emotional, social, cultural or spiritual needs;
• Taking time to get to know what the patient and their family need to help them live, die and grieve well;
• Sharing information, knowledge and care with the patient, their families and specialist health care providers including GPs, health services, palliative care nurses, oncologists, physicians and local councils.
Our highly accredited service employs a team of specialist palliative care nurses, specialist grief and bereavement counsellors, welfare workers, and patient and family support volunteers to look after the varied physical, social, emotional and spiritual needs of people requiring palliative care.
We offer our service to the Ballarat, Hepburn, Golden Plains and Moorabool Shires, and are currently caring for 170 registered patients exclusive of the many people who are requiring bereavement support.
The organisation also provides a free equipment loan service for registered patients, including wheelchairs, lift recliners, commodes and many other personal items delivered to the patient’s home.
Palliative care patients of all ages are cared for by the Ballarat Hospice Care specialist team, who help to fulfil the wish of a patient who asks to die at home.
Ballarat Hospice Care; making a difference is what we’re good at.
For further information on the definition of palliative care please go to World Health Organisation www.who.int/cancer/palliative/definition/en